Tag: sysmark

Sony and Intel share hardware information

There was a session at IDF yesterday where several fellows were, so to speak, interrogated by a vast audience of many many people.

Some might have been real developers – the first question was from a chap who asked all about sort of lines on chips, such an interesting question that the moderator kind of just gave up.

People asked so many different questions on such diverse topics that we almost wished that we had just stayed in bed all day, and had a holiday.

But the relentless questions continued until about 6PM. One of the fellows disclosed details of a relationship between Sony and Intel where hardware configurations were shared on the internet – and produced better benchmarks than Sysmark shared over the interweb.

Apparently, between them, Sony and Intel have collected over five million configurations of Sony Viaos on the interweb and that has helped these companies discover what software is on their computers.

Er, have neither Sony nor Intel ever heard of privacy?

We put our hand up at one point and wanted to ask the several fellows, apart from Dr Genevieve Bell, whether they knew how to get water out of frogs in Aussieland.

But this Sony one is interesting, isn’t it? There didn’t seem to be many spinners around, nor shills

We think Intel and Sony need to be interrogated more. 

AMD, Nvidia, Via give up on SYSmark 2012 Benchmark

Designer of chips AMD, Nvidia and Via have decided it will not use the SYSmark benchmark which is blessed by BAPCo because it favours rivals.

To show their distaste with the standard, AMD, Nvidia and Via have also quit BAPco and withdrawn all support, both have resigned from the BAPCo organisation.

Nigel Dessau, senior vice president and Chief Marketing Officer at AMD said that customers needed a clear and reliable measurement to understand the expected performance and value of their systems.

Writing in his bog Dessau  said that SM2012 can’t do that and AMD cannot endorse or support SM2012 or remain part of the BAPCo consortium.

He said that the benchmark was not based on real-world computing models and software applications, and which provide useful and relevant information.

Dessau claimed that SM2012 provided biased results and did not give transparent results to punters.

In the past year or so AMD, with openness and transparency, has tried to explain why we believe this benchmark is misleading with respect to today’s commonplace applications. A year ago Dessau published a blog designed to explore the problem.

BAPCo’s response to this blog was a threat to expel AMD from the consortium, something the organisation has denied.

It claims that AMD agreed with 80 per cent of its standard changes.  It was only the remaining 20 per cent which were a problem.

Dessau said that tSYSmark benchmark is not only comprised of unrepresentative workloads which favour the likes of Intel and ignore the importance of heterogeneous computing. It creates misleading results that can lead to very poor purchasing decisions.

He claimed that an obsession with Sysmark had caused governments worldwide to historically overspend somewhere in the area of approximately $8 billion

Dessau added that AMD was looking at other benchmarking alternatives. It was thinking of creating an industry consortium to establish an open benchmark to measure overall system performance.

Dessau said that AMD was a big fan of open standards and this was probably a better way of doing things.

Nvidia has said that it is following AMD  out of the standards body.  However it is refusing to say why.  We have it on good authority that Via is also voting with its feet.   This means that the entire standard seems to being controlled by Intel, which makes it more or less useful for anyone other than Chipzilla.