Tag: status quo

Trump did not change H-1B visa numbers after all

This year’s round of H-1B visa programme applications will be the same as last year, despite comedy president President Donald (Prince of Orange) Trump’s policy changes which were supposed to keep the foreigners out.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services last updated its online page dedicated to the programme, which granted visas to skilled foreign workers, Wednesday with the rules mostly similar to those of last year and quotas remaining the same.

For those who came in late, Trump promised to save American jobs and reform the programme on the grounds that companies exploited it to fill jobs once held by US citizens who earned higher wages. An alleged draft of an executive order was leaked last month and widely circulated, raising fears that the administration was preparing to gut the program. These measures were dropped.

This has led analysts to suggest that that the window in which the White House could have made serious reforms is now closed and it is business as usual.

Earlier this month, the USCIS announced it would neither lower nor raise the quota of H-1B visas, but did reveal a new restriction. For a fee of $1,225, applicants were once able to expedite their processing to just 15 days. From March 3, premium processing was indefinitely suspended for at least six months in a decision the USCIS said was aimed at reducing long processing times.

Brighton council splurges tax money on rubbish website

A council which claims it’s trying to save money to the tune of £20 million in the next year has decided to splurge £10,000 on an outright bizarre website in a bid to recruit.

Brighton and Hove City Council has paid consultants the fee to design the website SayNoToStatusQuo.co.uk, which it hopes will help it recruit candidates to fill just four new strategic director roles.

The site, emblazoned with the words “Status Quo fans need not apply” in glittering gold lettering is aimed at finding candidates who have a “radical” approach and a penchant for cash.

A message on the website reads: “Forget how it’s always been done, we’re rewriting the book on Local Government, shaping and transforming how we deliver services…You’ll have unprecedented scope to make the big decisions and deliver city-wide change.”

However Brighton and Hove may not be breaking the status quo as much as it thinks, as the UK supreme court just splashed out £360,000 on a rookie website that didn’t get tendered. 

Each role carries the salary of £125,000. For this the the recruits will have to secure “value for money” within the council – which we guess doesn’t include taking paycuts, and may or may not include commissioning expensive and basic websites. They will replace the previous team of six directors, who were each paid an average of £100,000.

Alex Knutsen, branch secretary of Unison’s Brighton and Hove branch, described the council’s move as a total waste of money.

He told the Metro newspaper: “There are five talented directors, plus one acting director, already doing a good job. The whole recruitment process is bound to cost at least £10,000.

“And all this when the council is trying to make £20 million cuts in the next year.”