Chinese Telco ZTE is too scared to send its executives to the US because it is terrified that they will be sentenced in one of its kangaroo courts that only lets off rich Americans and celebrities and locks up the rest for thousands of years.
US coppers have been looking into allegations that China’s ZTE sold banned US computer products to Iran and ZTE has refused to make one of its top executives available for questioning over fears he will be arrested.
On Tuesday, US District Judge Lewis Kaplan in Manhattan rejected ZTE’s request that he show “mercy” and reconsider his order compelling the company’s general counsel, Guo Xiaoming, to appear in New York for a deposition in a breach of contract lawsuit with Vringo.
In 2012 the US Department of Commerce and the FBI launched investigations into possible unauthorised exports to Iran, in violation of US sanctions.
The civil and criminal probes followed reports that ZTE in 2010 had a $120 million contract with Iran’s largest telecom firm, including supplying US computer equipment. ZTE could face steep fines and restrictions on its US operations.
Vringo’s chief legal and intellectual property officer David Cohen said the ruling highlights “ZTE’s lack of respect for intellectual property and the rule of law”,
However he would say that – Vringo and ZTE are suing each other in Kaplan’s court for breaching agreements related to licensing patents on mobile phone technology.
Last week, ZTE told Kaplan that Guo was unwilling to travel to the US due to the export control investigations. A lawyer for ZTE said she believed Guo would be questioned or detained.
Kaplan denied the request yesterday, saying there was no evidence of an outstanding arrest warrant for Guo personally. Even if there were, he said, the court should not be put in the position of helping a witness avoid charges of violations of US law.
Kaplan added that ZTE had previously given different reasons to prevent Guo’s appearance and he thought ZTE was stalling and game playing.