UK coppers show US types how to crack an iPhone

CaptureWhile coppers in the US have to jump through all sorts of legal hoops to hack an iPhone, it seems that their UK opposite numbers are a bit cannier.

Dean Haydon, head of the Metropolitan Police’s counter terrorism command said that Junead Khan, 25, of Luton had been in contact with Daesh fighters in Syria via text message, via e-mails but also using social media applications. He also had a large amount of extremist and terrorist material on there in relation to how to make a bomb.

Realising that a lot of evidence was on Khan’s iPhone they showed up at his work posing as company managers and asked to check his driver and work records.

They disputed where he was on a particular day, and Khan got out his iPhone and showed them the record of his work. The undercover officers asked to see his iPhone and Khan handed it over.

At that point they apparently arrested Khan and changed the password settings on the iPhone to prevent it from becoming locked.

The Met indicated that encryption was not a problem when obtaining further valuable digital evidence in the successful conviction of Khan and his uncle for “engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts.”

Scotland Yard said: “Digital forensic analysts sifted through around 64,000 files from Junead Khan’s three computers, recovering deleted documents. These included bomb making guides and terrorist propaganda.”

Khan was planning to stage a car crash near a US or RAF military base and then attack a US airman with a knife. He’d also researched and planned on how to make a pressure cooker bomb. We think that that bomb was going to be detonated if he was compromised by police either before or during the actual attack.

Khan should have been aware that something was up. UK police actively tried four times to dissuade him from engaging with other known terrorists.

Kahn and his uncle, Shazib Khan, 23, also of Luton, were found guilty of engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts following a six-week long trial at Kingston Crown Court. The two men have been remanded in custody until they are sentenced on May 13.