Samsung probes exploding Galaxy S III

Samsung Electronics is investigating reports that a Galaxy S III smartphones exploded in a person’s car in Ireland.

Explosions in cars are treated somewhat seriously in Ireland and this one went off when mounted on a car’s dashboard.

A Dublin-based individual posted comments and photos on the Boards Forum . He claimed that while he was driving, “suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone.”

He said that he was not sure if it was anything to do with the phone as it might have been caused by a combination of my car mount and my car’s heating system.

There has been a report of Samsung smartphones overheating before. In that case it was a spare battery which was in a schoolboy’s bag which went up. Samsung discovered that the battery had been hit a number of times.

The company said it was still looking into the reported Irish incident and its initial investigation found no fault with the phone.

A spokesman said that the result of those investigations could be released as early as this  week.