New questions emerge in iPhone electrocution death

Police in China are investigating the death of a 23 year old woman who was electrocuted while answering her iPhone.

Ailun Ma was a flight attendent for China Southern Airlines. According to the South China Morning Post, she died by electrocution after picking up her iPhone 4 to answer a call. Earlier reports claimed the model was an iPhone 5.

Ma’s family claimed both the iPhone and charger were bought at an Apple store, with her sister urging customers to be cautious when using the device as it charges – the message quickly going viral on Chinese social network Sina Weibo.

Now, Chinese media is reporting that the charger may have been a “knock-off”.

A quoted “telecommunications expert”, Xiang Ligang, told CCTV: “Knockoff chargers sometimes cut corners.

“The quality of the capacitor and circuit protector may not be good, and this may lead to the capacitor breaking down and sending 220 volts of electricity directly into the cell phone battery”.

A picture shown on CCTV of the alleged charger in question appears to show a different design to the official Chinese model.

Apple said in a statement it was “deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter”.

According to the Guardian, Apple declined to comment on whether or not this was an isolated incident.