When he came back, she had a third-degree burn the size of a golf ball near her right ankle.
Mr Degravio said his daughter rolled onto the power cable box connected to an HP laptop, causing the burn.
“We felt it got stove-top hot,” he told News10.net. “It was really, really hot. Not enough to give us third-degree burns as an adult, but hot enough to burn an infant or a child. It did some damage to her.”
The tot needed skin graft surgery in hospital.
Mr Degravio was reported to have said he wanted to file a lawsuit against HP to raise awareness for other parents.
HP could not be reached for comment.