The cyber security breach could put the private information of two thirds of Three’s nine million customers at risk.
A spokesthree said that the upgrade system does not include any customer payment, card information or bank account information.
However, the company said that is not the only bad thing that has been happening to the outfit. For the last month, it has been hit by a wave of attempted handset fraud.
“To date, we have confirmed approximately 400 high-value handsets have been stolen through burglaries and eight devices have been illegally obtained through the upgrade activity,” Carter said.
“This has been visible through higher levels of burglaries of retail stores and attempts to unlawfully intercept upgrade devices.”
At least the hackers appear have been identified. Three men have been arrested in connection with the breach at Three, the BBC said this morning.
The National Crime Agency arrested a man from Kent and two men from Manchester on Wednesday, the Beeb said. All three have been bailed pending further enquiries